Art history research paper topics and their writing processes differ from other college and university academic papers that students are assigned to write. In such papers you make the necessary arguments concerning the things you see; to be more precise you interpret visual information into verbal information. To write a really good research paper on art history, you should be familiar with the terms needed to describe the work of art and it is extremely important to choose appropriate art history research paper topics.
Art History Research Paper Topics: Types
You can cover your art history research paper in 2 ways:
- Narrative – the description of the facts concerning the topic, which is based on opinions and facts.
- Analytical – the presented argument should be supported by the evidence.
Art History Research Paper Topics: Renaissance
Choosing the Renaissance period as their art history research paper topics, students usually pay special attention to Michelangelo’s style. You can compare several of his early works with his later works and discuss the factors which changed his style of painting.
It is also recommended to evaluate Leonardo Da Vinci’s career and his influence on art.
Art History Research Paper Topics: Far East
The Buddhist architecture and Indian sculpture and painting are inexhaustible topics for research papers on art. You can compare Indian, Japanese and Chinese visual arts and point out differences and similarities between them.
Art History Research Paper Topics: Middle Ages. Gothic and Romanesque
This is a large field for discussions and descriptions, for example, you can compare buildings of the Romanesque architecture, explain the role of illuminated manuscripts in art, etc.
Art History Research Paper Topic Examples
- Main similarities and differences between the Art Nouveau and Art Deco styles.
- Features of sculptures in ancient Greece. The influence of science on sculptures.
- The role of Mughal paintings in forming the image of the Mughal kings in India.
- Biblical motives in Leonardo da Vinci’s early paintings.
- Surrealism in Salvador Dali’s sculptures.
- The origin of the traditional Japanese and Chinese costumes and their impacts on culture.
- Key changes in methodology in paintings at the epoch of Impressionism. The differences in paintings of two impressionists: Edgar Degas and Claude Monet.
- The main features of late Baroque architecture (c. 1660 – c. 1725)
- The history of creating The Death of Sardanapalus and its place in Eugène Delacroix’s paintings.
- Different mannerisms in Pablo Picasso’s paintings, from Art Nouveau to Cubism: evolution, or just separate periods in his oeuvre?
- The combination of different art styles in the extraordinary painting The Kiss by Gustav Klimt.
- Various interpretations of The Starry Night by Vincent van Gogh.
- Ancient Greek motifs in Michelangelo’s sculpture, David.
- The psychology of color in Kazimir Malevich’s works.
- Realistic and artificial motifs in Jasper John’s Flag.
- Why was Renaissance art so overwhelmed with Christian symbols and themes?
- Was Hitler’s artwork actually good?
- Is the majority of modern art a scam?
- What was the influence of the Industrial Revolution on art development?
- What is so special about the carving The Veiled Virgin?
- What were the main reasons of the Roman artistic style shift in the 4th century?
- How were Victorian beauty standards depicted?
- What is so special about the light in Monet’s Sunrise?
- What were the primary aims of the camera obscura and how did it change throughout the years?
- Compare the critiquing styles of Clement Greenberg and Harold Rosenberg.
- What are the peculiar features of Art Deco hotels in French Indochina?
- Was sculpture art the main business in Venice?
- The connection between French caricatures of the 19th century and Goya’s prints.
- What is so unusual and unique in Russian icons?
- The evolution of the uncovered body in paintings of various periods and countries.
You may also be interested in other research paper topics that cover various disciplines.
Art History Research Paper Topics Help
Most college and university students feel overwhelmed when they receive an assignment to write a research paper on art; if you are one of them, apply for help from EssayShark.com and receive a perfect opportunity to get a good paper within your time deadline. Your supervisor will be definitely impressed by it. EssayShark.com employs only professional writers with perfect writing skills and experience, so there is no need to worry about the papers quality and originality. All research papers are plagiarism-free and sold only once. With this custom writing service you’ll definitely be the best in your group or class. What should you do? Just place an order and write:
- Paper topic.
- Number of pages.
- Academic level.
- Personal requirements.
Have to do a history art essay today? Don’t be sad! Here you have a little help with a topic for your awesome essay!
- Artistic display of realism in creativity of Gustave Courbet.
- The appearance of Gala and her influence on Dali’s life and art.
- The problem of historical continuity of antiquity and the Renaissance. Protorenessans.
- The main directions of modern art in Europe.
- Images of Orpheus and Eurydice in different arts.
- The history of postcards in the world. Modern postcards.
- Hanging gardens of Babylon – history and representation in art.
- Analysis of the ancient Egyptian murals composition on the example of two or three monuments from different periods.
- The art of Christo and Jeanne Claude.
- The costumes of the Italian early Renaissance in 1420-1490.
- It features of English portrait of 18th century.
- Arts of High Italian Renaissance masters. Leonardo da Vinci.
- Artistic culture of ancient Greece during the Archaic and early classics.
- US Style and design (20th century) – Pop Art, Commercial Photography
- The ancient American civilization. Mayan tribes.
- Comparative analysis of sculpture Doryphoros of Polykleitos and sculpture by David of Donatello.
- Features of Amarna period ancient Egypt art.
- History of art castings on examples of wonders of world.
- Arts Cubism in art of George Braque.
- Chinese art in the era of feudalism.
- Oriental style – impact of Chinese and Japanese art on European culture.
- Costume as a cultural phenomenon. Traditional costume in China and Japan.
- Japan: the art of netsuke miniatures.
- Comparative analysis of Mikhail Vrubel and Gustave Moreau art.
- Raphael and Michelangelo – comparative portrait of the Renaissance.
- Fauvism and expressionism – the similarities and differences of techniques.
- Composition and space solution features in Flemish and Dutch still life in 17th century
- Portraits of artists in Western European engraving of 16-18th century.
- Features of experimental art in 20th century.
- Expressionism in Western European art (group Fauves in France).
- Comparison of the Romanesque cloisters plans with ancient peristyle courtyard.
- Art of Egypt. The ancient kingdom. Architecture.
- Constructivism in art and its influence on the formation of a new architecture.
- Ornamental style in medieval armor and weapons.
- Sistine ceiling by Michelangelo: idea and realization. 36. The main stages of the St. Peter’s Basilica construction.
- Artistic and stylistic features of Art Nouveau and Art Deco textile.
- Creative work of Frida Kahlo in European art in the middle of the 20th century.
- Comparative analysis and description of Van Gogh “The Red Vineyard at Arles” (1888) and Gauguin “Picking Fruit” (1899).
- Biblical and mythological theme in the works of Rubens.